Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I promise not to have been a delinquent blogger. My friend

I promise not to have been a delinquent blogger. My friend Amanda has been helping me for posting my blogs, but she has been on vacation. Therefore, there is a little late now. There is more to come, however, promise.For me now, I thought I would relate an interesting experience in the hospital about a week or so ago. I was sitting in the female surgical ward doing some errands before wheels when a woman who said she was bleeding. He looked very worried, so he went to the room where we DC. Seemed to be under quite a bit of pain. I talked to her through a translator and he said he had been bleeding for a couple of days and night before starting with what felt like labor pains. She did not believe she was pregnant, but could not be sure.So, lifted her dress to look and she had what appeared to be a very pregnant belly. I asked him again if he thought you might be pregnant, but again, not sure. So, I went to study at her and felt a baby's head coming through the birth canal (at least what I thought was the head of a baby!). It was then she told me I had to push. So I quickly told him I thought he was delivering a very premature baby and only you should go ahead and push. We sat there with her and pushed him as the quot; babyquot; began to crown, I noticed that seemed very strange. Gladys, a nurse, was standing next to me and their eyes met. I said very quietly quot; Gladys, is looking like a baby with you Quot; She looked at me with a look of confusion and said, quot; No, that does not look like a baby, but: what is it quot; As capped a little more, I realized that it looked and felt like a growing fibroid (a benign uterus). So I told him let up and quickly took her to the ultrasound room. Indeed, had a uterus full of fibroids (including the one that had prolapsed through his neck and was trying to emit) and uterus was the size of a pregnancy of 20 weeks. Boy I felt dumb! We took her to the theater later that day for a hysterectomy and is doing very well. That's definitely something that has never happened before! There seems to be plenty of that around here. br br